The other day I was sorting through some of my recipes and stumbled upon this curry paste. Add this to sautéed vegetables, tofu or even grilled potatoes and some rice or quinoa and you’ll have a flavorful meal that will have you coming back for seconds!
I knew I had everything on hand and as I was making it I switched up a few things to suit my taste. I used cashews for this but, if you have a nut allergy you can certainly substitute them with raw sunflower seeds.
Don’t be intimidated by the length of ingredients–it comes together pretty fast, is easy to make and trust me it’s really delicious! I served it mixed in with sautéed zucchini, carrots, tofu and rice.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of curry paste, and a little goes a long way, so you will have some left over for 2 more meals. Just store it in an airtight container and it will keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
I hope you make this and enjoy it as much as we did! Leave me a comment and let me know what you served yours with.
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1T tomato paste
- ½c water
- 1T coriander seeds
- 4 whole pods cardamom
- 1t yellow mustard seeds
- 1t cumin seeds
- 1T maple syrup
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1t sugar
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled & chopped
- 8 cloves
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon
- kosher salt
- 1T coconut oil
- ¼c raw cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes (if allergic, use raw sunflower seeds)
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Watch closely as the cardamom will start to turn a golden brown-about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, mustard seeds and coriander seeds. Heat for another 2 minutes. Be careful not to burn them.
- Next add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger, sugar and about 1t kosher salt. Sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. let this cook for about a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and ¼c of water, cover and let this simmer for 7 minutes. Lift the lid carefully and if the water has evaporated and 2T water and stir. Cover and simmer for an additional 5-6 minutes. The tomatoes should be soft and cooked through.
- Let the tomato mixture cool before adding it to a high speed blender along with the maple syrup and drained cashews.
- While blending, drizzle in 1-2T of water until the paste comes together and becomes smooth. Scrape down the sides and blend until everything is incorporated.
- Taste for salt.